Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's been awhile. . .

It's been awhile since I've updated the blog! So much has happened! Christmas, New Years, birthdays, starting a new semester, and other random life situations--like being in the hospital.

Last Monday, Jan 30, I went to the Student Health Clinic on campus because I was having breathing problems. The doctor there was so very nice and took as much time with me as I needed! I told him what was going on and what medicine I was taking to see if maybe that was what was causing it. I was NOT planning on making a trip to the hospital that day. The dr said that he wanted to do and EKG and Chest XRAY to make sure I didn't have blood clots because the medicine I was on causes blood clots. Now I'm thinking "Great. As if I haven't had enough medical problems, this happens." I went in for my EKG (they did it at the clinic along with the chest xray) and that came back normal. Chest Xray came back normal. So the next step was to go to the hospital to get blood work done. Check for blood clots, infections, deficiencies, etc. My grandpa came and got me from the health clinic and we headed up to the hospital. We sat there waiting for admissions for a half hour. Then getting all my info took about 20 minutes. Then there were 7 people ahead of me to get blood work done. We sat there for 45 minutes. Finally it was my turn to get blood drawn. Since I've had so many needles and IV's, this was nothing. The lab tech person said that she would call my dr as soon as she got my results. In the meantime, I went to work. About 6 p.m. my dr called. No blood clots! No infection! But I did have low potassium levels and extremely high blood pressure. My blood pressure was 160/112 that morning. So I got put on potassium supplements for 5 days and blood pressure meds for 2 weeks. I started feeling great the next day. But then I got weaker throughout the week. I finally just broke down and started crying because I was so tired and frustrated. That was Wednesday. By Thursday, I was able to go back to work. I am still feeling great! I get tired a lot easier now if I don't eat the proper foods. I'm on a potassium-enriched diet right now and I don't really like vegetables, but I know that if I want to get better, it's the right thing to do. :) I didn't know that potassium levels affected your heart rate, but the doctor said it did. My heart rate has been fine since Thursday! :) I go back to the clinic Friday to check my levels! Hopefully, everything is back to normal! :)

Yesterday, I had my aunt's baby shower! It was such a blast! I think J.J. has more clothes than I do now! ;) I can't wait to meet him!

Work is going great! I am working with the 2-3 year olds right now and they are a handful, but they are so fun! They wear you out as well. They saw the bandage from when I got blood drawn and they just kept asking what happened and were very concerned. I love those kids! :)

I got an A- on my first college paper this week as well! I was pretty proud! One of the highest grades in the class. :)

I don't know what I was thinking taking all my generals in one semester. English, Biology, Biology lab, Sociology, Bowling, and Aerobics. It's been a really rough semester.

Well, that's my life right now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment